About the Industry
Here is a list of organisations associated with the UK offshore oil and gas industry. If you feel that additional websites should be included, please send the details here.
The oil and gas industry’s focal point for skills, learning and workforce development. OPITO is an industry funded, employer-led organisation committed to developing the oil and gas industry’s workforce capability now and in the future.
- My Oil and Gas Career
Information on living and working offshore and the opportunities available.
- Earth Science Education Unit
The Earth Science Education Unit Provides targeted INSET for Dynamic Earth topics covered at Key Stages 3 and 4.
- Engineering Construction Industry Training Board
Holds a database of all ECITB General Grant Training Providers and information about courses and events.
- Heriot-Watt University, Department of Petroleum Engineering
- Robert Gordon University, School of Engineering
- University of Dundee, Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law & Policy (CEPMLP
- Aberdeen University
Health and safety
- Step Change in Safety
A wholly owned subsidiary of Oil & Gas UK, set up to make the UK the safest place to work in the worldwide oil and gas industry.
- Department of Transport, Marine Safety Agency
- Fisheries Legacy Trust Company (FLTC)
Set up to enhance the safety of fishermen in UK waters by ensuring the provision of information about oil and gas related sea bed structures which might affect marine activities.
- Health & Safety Executive
- Fire and Blast Information Group (FABIG) was created in 1992 to collate, appraise and disseminate knowledge on hydrocarbon fires and explosions, and to be the main forum for discussion of fire and blast related issues in relation to the design of both offshore and onshore facilities.
- National Subsea Research Institute
A not for profit company working to be a national strategic centre of excellence within the UK for subsea research.
- Energy Institute
- Intervention and Coiled Tubing Association
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Institution of Electrical Engineers
- Institute of Physics
- Institute of Civil Engineers
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Engineering Council
- Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
Operations: geology and exploration
- Geological Society
- British Geological Survey
- PESGB ( Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain)
Operations - industry service providers
- First Point Assessment Limited (FPAL)
A non-profit, oil and gas industry owned company established in 1996. Its prime objective is to bring efficiencies in the procurement of goods and services by sharing better information and minimising duplication.
Industry Technology Facilitator.
Leading Oil and Gas Industry Competitiveness.
A non-profit, industry regulated information utility owned by its members to provide data management services to the UK oil and gas industry.
Operations: industry tools
Initiative developed to permit the sharing of excess seat capacity on North Sea helicopter flights.
A Pilot initiative, DEAL is an information system with a map based web interface showing the location of wells, fields, seismic surveys, gravity and magnetic surveys, interpretive reports, quadrant/blocks, licences, coastlines, platforms and pipelines over the UKCS.
- Industry Mutual Hold Harmless (IMHH)
An online system to provide information concerning an industry mutual hold harmless indemnity regime for contractors operating in the UKCS.
- Master Deed
Expedites the transfer of UKCS offshore licence interests and other agreements relating to associated assets and infrastructure.
- Standard Agreements
Off-the-shelf resource for agreements between operators.
- Standard Contracts
Off-the-shelf resource for agreements between operators and contractors.
- Vantage POB
A system which is used to track personnel working offshore.
Provides access to qualitative and quantitative data for all emissions and discharges to the environment from offshore installations and associated onshore terminals.
- Institute of Marine Engineers
- British Marine Industries Federation
- Chamber of Shipping
- International Maritime Organisation
- Centre for Marine and Petroleum Technology
Representative bodies: regional
- Energy North
- NOF Energy
- East of England Energy Group (EEEGR)
- OGP - International Association of Oil and Gas Producers
Representative bodies: sectoral
- Gas Forum
Represents British gas shippers and suppliers, storage operators and offshore producers.
- The UK Petroleum Industry Association
- Subsea UK
- Oil and Gas Independents Association
- Offshore Contractors Association
- International Association of Drilling Contractors
- Energy Industries Council
- Emergency Response and Vessel Rescue Association
- Drilling Engineers Association of Europe
- British Rig Owners’ Association
- International Marine Contractors Association
- Seabed User & Developer Group
UK oil and gas supply and demand
- National Grid
Industry-Government forum to maximise recovery of the UK’s oil and gas reserves.
- Department of Energy and Climate Change
- Department of Business, Innovation & Skills
- International Energy Agency
- Project Pathfinder
DECC have launched a real-time look at the oil and gas projects both for new field developments and decommissioning of redundant facilities in the UKCS over the next few years.