Monday 7 January 2013
New Prize Launched for UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards
Nominations are now open for the 2013 UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards.
The annual showcase event is jointly organised by Oil & Gas UK and Step Change in Safety and pays tribute to the most safety conscious workers and companies in the UK’s offshore industry.
This year sees the launch of a brand new prize category to honour workforce engagement and will be awarded to a worksite or installation which has actively embraced the concept of better engagement with its staff.
In addition, the Ideas in Safety prize returns in 2013, with a cash prize of £5,000 for an individual or team which has some up with an original idea to prevent hydrocarbon gas leaks.
The other categories now open for nomination pay tribute to safety leadership and honour both the top safety representatives and the up-and-coming professionals. Also open for nomination are categories recognising the quick-thinkers who have prevented incidents and the companies which have put in place clever safety processes or techniques.
Nominations close on 1 March 2013 and the winners will be presented with their awards at a ceremony at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre on 24 April 2013.
Step Change in Safety team leader, Les Linklater, said: “This year we’ve added a new category to the UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards which honours workforce engagement. We’ve done this because we know that worksites which have good engagement with employees tend to have better safety records and far fewer accidents. Therefore, it’s right that we recognise the places that are setting the standard and doing things well so that others can learn from them.
“Offshore safety has improved so much over the last 15 years and these awards are all about showcasing the really positive things that are going on. We are keen to reward great ideas and to learn from our workforce, which is why the Ideas in Safety prize will once again go to an individual or a team who has come up with a bright idea to prevent hydrocarbon gas leaks. Even if it’s just a concept – they could see their idea developed.
“It doesn’t matter what job you do or whether you’re a leader, safety rep or trainee. If you’re playing your part to keep safety at the top of the agenda I’d urge you to get your entry in before the deadline of 1 March.”
This year’s award categories are:
- Safety Leadership – for an inspirational and motivational team leader
- Safety Representative of the Year – for an enthusiastic and committed safety rep
- Preventative Safety Action – for a quick-thinker who has helped prevent a potential incident
- Most Promising Individual – for an up-and-coming young person with potential
- Innovation in Safety – for a company which has put in place a clever safety process or technique
- Workforce Engagement – for a worksite or installation which has embraced engagement with its workers
- Ideas in Safety – £5,000 prize for an individual/team with an idea for reducing or preventing hydrocarbon leaks
Visit www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/safetyawards for more information.
|Previous press release||Next press release|